Tuesday, September 14, 2010

"I am the Lord"

I title this blog, "I am the Lord" because this statement could be interpreted as the explanation for what 'God' really is. This quotation is from David Plotz's book, Good Book. Although Plotz does not use this quote in the same context as I am, reading this allowed me to think about the idea of God in a different manner. "I am the Lord" could be a saying derrived from every individual. Perhaps the Bible is really saying that the individual is God or their soul is a representation of God? I found it interesting how people throughout their existence have often turned to a higher or supreme power. Most do this to seek advise or help from something that the individual thinks is out of their hands. But ultimately, the individual, rather than gaining help from a higher supernatural power is actually gaining their power and drive to accomplish their feat from within themselves. That is, of course, if one views God as simply a representation of the self...

I enjoy Plotz's book. For someone like myself who's first 'run-in' with the bible is for this class, Plotz helps the reader understand the main points, stories, and arguments the Bible presents. I enjoy his comical elements and feel it is necessary to be light hearted, for the Bible contains many aspects of morbid and dark images. Plotz puts the Bible in prespective for his readers. He describes the happenings of each book while also emphasizing the laws and teachings the Bible has to offer. A good book indeed.

1 comment:

  1. "their soul is a representation of God".

    You are absolutely right.

    Gen 1 vrs 26

    "And God said, 'let us make man in our image, after our likeness"

    Perhaps, And what I've come to understand, is that we think far to physically about this verse and not enough mentally.

    ReplyDelete